Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Summer In The Land Of Skin REVIEW

Twenty-five-year-old Anna Medina abandons her life in California and arrives emotionally numb in Bellingham, Washington to make peace with her father's death. Seeking out his former best friend--a fellow guitar maker, Bender--Anna hopes to reconnect with her father and gain insight into his past. As an observer of life, Anna spends the beginning of her time in Bellingham glued to her window soaking up the scene, until she actually becomes part of it. Falling in with a captivating couple, Lucy and Arlan, Anna takes up permanent residence on their couch. So begins a summer filled with drinking, music, and--most important--the discovery that the only way to get free of her past is to embrace it.

My Review
Rating: 5/5

Now I know it seems like I just rate books too easily since my last was a high rating too but these books deserve it!!!! "Everyone has a summer that changes them forever." So true isn't it? I think the reason I love this book so much is that it takes me back to my life changing summer, I think it would do the same for you. 

It's an amazing story about coming to terms with the past and with yourself. Anna goes on a hunt to, as she says, kill her father "because he's not dead enough". Her father committed suicide when Anna was a child, and she herself has been suffering from depression ever since. She goes on a search to find her dad's ex-best friend, and co-worker, hoping to find some answers from him.

Once she makes it to town you meet some of the most realistic characters ever created. I honestly read this book and wondered if the author and made these characters from people she knew in her life changing summer. They are so real and so interesting it makes you feel like you know them personally. It's amazing. My favorite is Lucinda (Lucy) her strange best friend. Anna said something about Lucy that really spoke to me, "That's what allows her to be reckless with other people's hearts. She doesn't know what it's like to have regrets. That's part of what makes her irresistible--her magical immunity to what-if." 

That bolded section is really what made Lucy's character so interesting to me. She operates outside of what society expects of us. She works on the thought that we are all going to die so there's no point in beating around the bush and tip toeing around others feelings, and the truth.

I love her writing style. I highlighted so many passages that I wanted to quote, they are so beautiful. Her writing is so poetic and it captures human emotion so well that I caught myself many times going "oh my gosh, that is how it feels..." about emotions I've always struggled to explain. If I could buy copies and demand people read it, I would. This is a book I truly think everyone should read. Absolutely stunning.

I could ramble about this book forever, but I won't I promise. :)

4 comments: